Mexico, a fun loving country of happy people, which gave us spicy food and also drugs. Mexico is a vast country which connects the North American continent with the South America continent is a beautiful nation. The ladies in this country are known for their beauty and the men are equally charming. If you need to know some more about this fabulous country, there here are some interesting facts about Mexico:
- It is the 14 largest country in the world by its land area. It is spread across 1.973 million sq. Km of land. It has 31 states and so the official name is the United Mexican States. The capital of the country is Mexico City.
- The capital of the country, Mexico City, has the highest elevation and is also the oldest city in North America. Interestingly it is also one of the largest cities in the world.Another interesting fact is that the Mexico City is built on the ruins of the great Aztec city, Tenochtitlan. Most of central Mexico City is what years ago was the seat of the Aztec empire. The closest English translation of the word, Tenochtitlan, would be, ‘The Impossible City’ and rightly so because even today such a city could never be rebuilt. The ruins of the city are damaged to the core and so now Mexico City which stands on these ruins sinks inside the ground at a rate of 6 to 8 inches every year. It is also a result of the excess groundwater drilling due to the cities increasing water needs.
- Mexico is also a great location as a tourist destination. There are over 30 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in this single country and plus the locally renowned tourist spots. The huge number of world heritage sites in this country are proof to the fact that there is a long-dated history to this place. Stone tools dating back to 23,000 years have been discovered in this place which proves the fact that humans lived in this place a long time ago too to build these amazing structures.
- The entire country of Mexico is situated on the ‘Ring of Fire,’ which is the earth’s most powerful earthquake zone. The ring is formed right from Java to the Atlantic Ocean via the Himalayas and the Southern Europe. The highest mountain peak in Mexico is Pico de Orizaba, a dormant volcano which is 5,636 meters high from the sea level. A rare kind of rabbit which lives around the volcanic zone of the country is called as the Volcano rabbit. It is smallest in the world, second only to the pygmy rabbits.
- For Mexican children, January 6 is a more significant date than Christmas, and no, it is not a national holiday. It was this day when the three wise kings from the biblical tale arrived and Mexicans celebrate this fact. Kids in Mexico receive gifts on this date and there are fun and joy all over just like Christmas again.
- If you adore nourishment, then you will love Mexico gave us Tacos, Burritos and also Enchiladas. Mexican cuisine is a mix of the original Mexican spices mixed with American flavors. After the Spanish conquest of the Aztec empire, Spanish food also influenced a lot of the Mexican food styles and today you get a lot of fusion of tomatoes and chilies. Mexico also introduced to the world, chocolate, corn and chilies, yeah and you are welcome.
- Another great Spanish influence on Mexico is bullfighting. The national sport of Spain is bullfighting and so after Spain, the largest number of bullfighting rings in the planet can be found in Bullfighting takes place from November to April in Mexico. The Plaza Mexico is the greatest bullring in the world, bigger than those found in Spain.
- If you are a pooch darling, you will love to know that the name Chihuahua for the smallest and the most intelligent dog in the world is named after a Mexican state of the same name.
- The history of Mexico is yet another interesting fact about it. The Aztec who ruled the country for a very long time and left an imprint on every tradition which is evident even today. The Aztec believed that human sacrifice would stop the sun from swallowing the earth and so they cut out a heart from living persons and burned it to satisfy the gods. Even today the hints for this can be found in the fact that most of the ancient statues discovered of gods stick out their tongue to symbolize their thirst for blood, weird wouldn’t you say.
- The national symbol of Mexico City is a golden eagle eating on a snake which is also a part of the Aztec history. When Aztecs first came to settle down here, they first saw a golden eagle sitting on a cactus plant and eating a snake. The symbol which has been mentioned in ancient Aztec scriptures was later adopted as the national symbol of the state.
- As far as education is concerned, the first printing press in North America was situated in Mexico and was used in Mexico City in 1539. Also, the oldest university in North America, The National University of Mexico was founded in 1551 by Charles V of Spain.
- The greatest pyramid on the planet is not found in Egypt but The Great Pyramid of Cholula in Mexico is the biggest pyramid in the world and also the most significant monument ever constructed in the world.
- When we mention structures, the most world-renowned structure found in Mexico is the Chichen Itza. This great pyramid was also responsible for the 2012 hoax that the world would end. Apart from the mystery surrounding the monument, the engineering marvel of the structure attracts millions of tourists to the country every year. Undoubtedly, it was also included as one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
So these were just a few interesting facts about New Mexico and Old Mexico. The country is surrounded by mysteries and adventure, a perfect place to plan your next vacation.